Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Remembering John Lennon: His words say it all

Courtesy Lennon Archive



Here are some of the quotes from John Lennon on this sad anniversary. It was his words that made him so special and this is how he should be remembered. 

"I'm a moldy moldy man. I'm moldy thru and thru. I'm a moldy moldy man. You would not think it's true. I'm moldy till my eyeballs. I'm moldy till my toe. I will not dance I shyballs. I'm such a humble Joe." -- "The Moldy Moldy Man," from "John Lennon: In His Own Write."

"If I hadn't been a Beatle I just wouldn't have thought of having ("John Lennon: In His Own Write") published 'cuz I would've been crawling around, broke, and just writing it and throwing it away. I might've been a Beat poet." - 1965 on the BBC.

"I don't and never did imagine God as one thing. But now I can see God as a power source - or as an energy. But you can't see any kind of energy... only track it on radar or things like that. You can be aware of your own energy and all the energy that's around you. All the energy is God. Your own energy and their energy, whether doing god-like things or ungodly things. It's all like one big jelly. We're all in the big jelly." -- Daily Sketch, 1967.

"There are two choices: doing something or not doing something, and that's the choice facing all of us. We decided to do something and when you don't do something you're not doing anything and you're aware of it. And once you do something you set up a kind of a thing in your mind or yourself and there's no turning back, you know…" 1969 to Miles.

I don't write for the Beatles, I write for myself. So I'm influenced by whatever's going on at the time, you know. I'm in love and that's the end of it. So every time I pick up the guitar I sing about Yoko and that's how I'm influenced. I am obviously influenced by her ideas and her coming from that other field, so-called avant garde or underground or wherever she came from. ..she came in through the bathroom window. She encouraged the freak in me.” – Miles, Sept. 1969.

"We used to believe the Beatles myth just as much as the public, and we were in love with them in just the same way. But basically we were four individuals who eventually recovered our own individualities after being submerged in a myth." -- Ray Connolly interview, 1971.

"We went to Disneyland on what must have been the most crowded day of the year. It's funny. I was sitting on the monorail along with everyone else, not being recognized, and I heard someone with his back to me say that George Harrison was there today. The guy was leaning on me at the time, and he'd heard that a Beatle was there somewhere.
He couldn't see the wood for the trees.” – Melody Maker, 1975.

"If I could be a f-----’ fisherman I would. If I had the capabilities of being something other than I am, I would. It’s no fun being an artist. You know what it’s like, writing, it’s torture. I read about Van Gogh, Beethoven, any of the f------. If they had psychiatrists, we wouldn’t have had Gauguin’s great pictures. These bastards are just sucking us to death; that’s about all that we can do, is do it like circus animals." -- Rolling Stone, 1980.

"Nobody controls me. I'm uncontrollable. The only one who controls me is me, and that's just barely possible." - 1980, Playboy.

I'm always proud and pleased when people do my songs. It gives me pleasure that they even attempt them, because a lot of my songs aren't that doable. I go to restaurants and the groups always play "Yesterday." I even signed a guy's violin in Spain after he played us "Yesterday." He couldn't understand that I didn't write the song. But I guess he couldn't have gone from table to table playing "I am the Walrus." – Playboy.


2 comments:

  1. My dad is the spanish guy with the signed violin, he still has it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad is the spanish guy with the signed violin, he still has it!!!

    ReplyDelete